Guaranteeing the safe operational conditions of pipelines is paramount to any integrity management program. Intelligent inline inspection (ILI) systems are widely used throughout the industry to guarantee such safe operations. ILI tools record data while travelling through the entire pipeline from launcher to receiver. Ultrasonic technology (UT) is the most accurate and reliable iteration of ILI technology available today. By taking advantage of the highly accurate data offered by NDT Global, alongside the overall service offering, operators rarely need to make major concessions or adjustments to their pipelines.
UT uses ultrasonic waves – mechanical vibrations - to determine the structural integrity of a pipeline. High frequency waves propagate through a pipeline to inspect changes in wall thickness and other potential flaws.
A new series of UT ILI tools
The introduction of NDT Global's Evo Series 1.0 brought to the industry the latest generation of UT ILI tools. The innovative technology improves tool performance with enhanced speed, resolution and reliability.
This generation offers inspection velocities of up to 4 m/s (9 mph). The tool fleet's versatility and adaptability helps operators avoid reducing flow rates for ILI runs. No matter the application, the Evo Series 1.0 tool set offers the highest axial resolution available to the market, 1.5 mm (0.06 in), and circumferential resolution of 4 mm (0.19 in). Such attributes provide high-resolution input to enable pressure calculations, e.g. based on river-bottom and crack depth profiles or 3D finite element modeling.
The future of ultrasonic inspection
- Detection of flaws of all depths
- High sensitivity, permitting the detection of extremely small flaws
- Greater accuracy than other non-destructive methods in determining the depth of flaws
- Capable of determining the size, orientation, shape and nature of defects through the direct measurement principle.
- Capable of determining the structure of alloys of components with different acoustic properties
- Non-hazardous to operations or to nearby personnel and has no effect on equipment and materials in the vicinity